The Role of UV and Aqueous Coatings
Choosing the proper coating is an essential step in designing and producing quality packaging. Why are coatings so important? For some of the same reasons that packaging is important. While packaging protects and enhances the beauty of what’s inside, coatings help protect and enhance the appearance of the printed package itself. Because coatings are dually decorative and protective, they are an economical way to extend both the appearance and the lifespan of the package.
One of the goals of packaging is to catch the consumer’s eye, encouraging them to examine and explore the package and its contents. A quality coating increases shelf appeal by imparting additional tactile elements and adding snap to printed graphics. The most common types of coatings used today are Ultraviolet (UV) and aqueous. Both are available in a range of finishes from matte through satin to gloss, expanding design flexibility beyond the choice of inks.
A coating also protects the package from the rigors of assembly, fulfillment, shipping and distribution, safeguarding it from fingerprints, abrasion and scuffing. UV and aqueous coatings both demonstrate excellent abrasion and block resistance; in some cases, effectively eliminating the need for shrinkwrap or other protective layers.
Choosing the Proper Print Coating
Which is the best coating for a job? That depends as much on the job as it does on the coating. Expectations of performance, appearance, quality and cost are variables to weigh when making a decision. Other factors to consider include operator experience, job latitude (tolerance), storage conditions and performance requirements. Contact us for a free article on choosing the proper coating for your package.
Diamond utilizes a variety of standard and specialty UV coatings to protect and enhance your packaging. Choose from:
- UV – matte and gloss finishes available
- Aqueous – water based; also available in FDA-approved formulations
- DiamondEmboss – exhibits a unique dimensional profile, without embossing
- DiamondGlitter – creates stunning shimmering effects
- DiamondGloss – creates decorative gloss effects without trap lines
- DiamondMatte – creates decorative matte effects without trap lines
- DiamondPearl – exhibits unique shimmering finishes
- DiamondTexture – imparts a raised, thermographic-like finish without embossing
- DiamondTouch – soft touch effect adds tactile quality and promotes consumer interaction
- Glass – adds stunning glitter effects
- Interference – enhances color and adds color shifting properties
- Iriodin® – non-uniform pearl lustre particles create unique shimmer effects
- Metallized Flakes – adds metallized effects
- Reticulated – imparts a subtle, textured finish without embossing
- Scented – engages consumers and encourages interaction at point-of-sale
Contact us for more information or to request a free specialty coatings sample kit.